I am back playing tennis, with a new buddy — a wrappy device that goes around my patella tendon. It helps. I also have several old buddies that are back, those negative voices that criticize me as I play. Seriously! I am a big duffer, but when I get out there I act like I am at the US Open about to play one of the Williams Sisters! According to Runners World (see the July 2015 Edition, page 38) I should be talking back to my voices! Here is how to use self talk to talk to your inner weekend warrior.
Here are 5 snappy comebacks to my inner critic:
- “I’m nervous” — comeback: “I am calm”. Okay, not so snappy, but it works.
- “I’m tired” –comeback: “I am in good shape–or at least better than these women!” (I didn’t say I wasn’t catty!)
- “My knee hurts–comeback: “But at least I am out here!”
- “#@#$! I can’t believe I missed that #@#$ shot!”–comeback: “I got this one.”
- “Oh my GAWD! We are about to WIN!” –comeback: “One shot at a time. Be here now.”
I’m playing tonight and will let you know if the voices talk back!
PS: We love you Serena! There is always next year!